Sunday, August 21, 2005

Football Weekend #1

I know that the panthers played a game last week, but I consider the start of high school football as the beginning of Football Season. College is still 2 weeks away, but this weekend was pretty good for my teams.

The Wonders went to Statesville and won 24-6. The offense needs some work, but the defense shut down the Greyhounds. Statesville's only touchdown was on a kickoff return. It looks like the Wonders may have another good season, which is nothing new. I think it's been almost 30 years since the Wonders had a losing record. I know in my 27 years of following the Wonders (Ethan Horton, Lance Smith, and Terry Baxter) years to 2005 that I can't remember a losing season. I know we went something like 6-5 one year, but I think that's the worse we've done.

Our good friends from concord got their season off to a good start, losing 42-0 to Vance. It looks like the spiders may still be living on last years glory, with their half a championship that they won. I could not believe the stats in the paper, especially 1 first down and -60 yards of offense. That's amazing even for EZ and the spiders.

The Panthers looked like George Seifert was coaching again last night. The Panthers turned the ball over 6 times, and lost by 6 points. The turnovers came on fumbles, interceptions, and the strip of Steve Smith. I could not believe what I was seeing when the guy just took the ball from Steve Smith. I'm glad he did not punch the guy or lose his cool. The Panthers also lost their safety, Branch for the season. That's not good news.

Well, this week the Wonders travel to Landis, or China Grove, or Enochville, or somewhere out there in the pastures of Southern Rowan County to take on the Raiders The Raiders have only won about 4 times against the Wonders in my lifetime. I don't think they'll get number 5 this Friday.

The spiders take on Northwest, I believe. I hate to say this, but Go Northwest. I still hope that we get to meet them in the playoffs (northwest) since they no longer want to play us after all these years. I can't believe that they are still upset about that 97-0 game a few years ago. I think it's time to move on.

The Panthers will try to bounce back by taking on the Browns in Cleveland, the
"mistake by the lake" as they like to call it. When I think of Cleveland, I think that CEDAR POINT is only a few miles west of Cleveland.

No comments: