Friday, August 10, 2007

NASA Discovers Gouge on Underside of Shuttle Endeavour!



Wow, the shuttle has been damaged again on liftoff. I think it is time that they retire these shuttles. The shuttle program is almost 30 years old, so it's about time to work on a new model. I don't believe, besides the VW Beetle, that we have ever kept the same style of transportation without some changes.

I do have a history with the space shuttle. In College, Bill Fox and I drove about 4 hours across Florida to see a night launch. It was a military mission, so they did not give out the exact launch time but gave a few hours (midnight-6am). We arrived around 11:00pm and the atmosphere was really cool. It reminded me of New Years Eve or the 4th of July, with a lot of people waiting patiently for either the apple to drop of the fireworks to begin. At about 2:00am, they announced that the shuttle had "problems" and would not be launched. I was very disappointed and now we had a 4 hour drive back.

In 2001, I finally got to see a shuttle launch. The senior class of NKCA (Chad, Candace, and Annie) were on our way to Miami for a cruise to the Bahamas. The shuttle was going to be launched that afternoon, and I finally got to watch a launch. It was incredible, powerful, and amazing to be a part of. I got it on video, and I remember about a minute after the launch, we experienced what I call, thunder, from the force of the launch. I will never forget that experience.



FOXNews.com - NASA Discovers Gouge on Underside of Shuttle Endeavour - Science News | Current Articles

No comments: